Sony Advertising
Amazon
Forum für die Fotosysteme von Sony und KonicaMinolta
  SonyUserforum - Forum für die Fotosysteme
von Sony und KonicaMinolta

Registrieren Rund ums Bild Galerie Objektiv-Datenbank Kalender Forenregeln Nützliches

Startseite » Forenübersicht » Treffpunkt » Die Glaskugel » Mark Galer über Andrea und SONY-Kamera-Updates (engl.)
Antwort

Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 02.05.2023, 06:50   #1
Butsu

Mark Galer über Andrea und SONY-Kamera-Updates (engl.)

Mark Galer wurde in seinem Patreon-Thread gefragt was er von den Statements von Andrea Pizzini hält.
Bezug war dieses Video.

Hier die ausführliche Antwort von Mark:

"Hi ... - even Sony staff watch Andrea Pizzini.
In the current video this is speculation by Andrea as Sony works on a need to know basis and if the Sony staff member being referred to was not high enough up the chain of command, his own views would have been speculative. A case of 'Chinese whispers' as the information is already fourth-hand when Andrea shares it.

I imagine Sony's current position in relation to Firmware Upgrades could be a struggle between the engineers who want to improve all cameras and 'the suits' who want a greater incentive for Alpha owners to upgrade when a new camera is announced. Essentially marketing decisions.

All 'business strategy' situations like this are temporary, as the power dynamics inside a company change as the staff change. If we look back to 2019 Sony was releasing Firmware Upgrade roadmaps and giving cameras such as the A7III, A7RIII and A9 cameras significant updates. I believe the A9 got dozens of new features including Animal Eye AF the new AF Tracking algorithms and host or other minor improvements. At this point in time nothing was being held back. Reviewers were saying the A9 felt like a complete new camera because the updates were so significant to its performance.

Unfortunately if Sony are only watching sales figures, instead of Alpha community sentiment, then they will not see any significant impact in sales of the A1 and A7SIII models as they are now older cameras compared to newer releases such as the A7RV and A7IV which are selling well.

Philip Bloom and Gerald Undone have shared their views and I would be very surprised if Sony are not currently aware of what the reviewers think. I have also shared my sentiments with Sony Australia about the current marketing decisions regarding firmware. Having Andrea wade into this argument may create a bigger impact on Sony as I have see Sony Japanese employees watching SAR in the hours leading up to announcement to see if Andrea had got any specifics about the model they were about to announce. Recently they have even been showing Andrea pre-release cameras in the lead up to an announcement (presumably to stop him from announcing too early).

I feel sad when Alpha owners tell me they are moving to a company such as Nikon and that they will inevitably loose many thousands of dollars to sell and repurchase gear (as well as having to learn a completely new menu system) especially if Sony were to reverse their entire firmware strategy with the change of just one senior employee within Sony. I have switched companies (from Nikon to Sony), but only after much deliberation about who I felt were providing the most innovation technologies. 11 years after my initial decision to change, I feel Sony is still the most innovative imaging company and will continue to be so for the years to come. The only reason some of the Nikon cameras can compete with cameras such as the A1 and A7RV is because of Sony's decision to sell them Sony sensors. This could all end tomorrow as Sony is not obliged to sell any company all, or any of, their sensors, e.g., Sony have never sold any other company the Sony 12 megapixel sensor that appears in the A7S cameras.

I understand Alpha owners reason to be upset but I still feel this is a temporary situation and some of the features that stills photographers are wanting, such as Focus bracketing are not important enough, in my opinion, to warrant changing cameras. Other features that Sony owners would like to see such as AI Subject detection are features that would require an AI processor to deliver them to older cameras. I feel mostly for the A7SIII owners who feel they should not have to purchase an FX3 just to get the video features that are important to their workflows (focus breathing compensation etc). Most pro photographers not restrained by budget would have purchase a Cinema line camera in the first place and use Cine lenses than have never had focus breathing issues.

This is very much a watch this space discussion as things will not stay the same - they rarely do."

Geändert von Butsu (02.05.2023 um 13:11 Uhr)
Butsu ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Sponsored Links
Alt 02.05.2023, 09:44   #2
ddd

moin,

kannst Du bitte die Quelle des Zitats angeben?

-thomas
Alt 02.05.2023, 13:10   #3
Butsu

Themenersteller

Das ist aus dem Patreon-Thread von Mark.
Startseite » Forenübersicht » Treffpunkt » Die Glaskugel » Mark Galer über Andrea und SONY-Kamera-Updates (engl.)

Forenregeln